> | | | | > Review: Beautyblender Makeup Sponge

Review: Beautyblender Makeup Sponge

Posted on Friday, April 5, 2013 | 2 Comments

I've read and seen rave reviews about the beautyblender sponge on both blogs and YouTube, but I could never bring myself to splurge some $20 on a sponge applicator.

I finally added this to my cart when I was shopping online at Sephora (I did a mini haul that I sent to Point Roberts and I figured I may as well make my purchase substantial enough to justify the trip down to the border)--and boy am I glad that I did!


From the reviews I read, I definitely knew I wanted the real thing, and not the half-priced Sonia Kashuk blending sponge. Then came the problem of which set to buy from Sephora.

- 1 beautyblender for $19.95 USD ($26 CAD)
- 2 beautyblenders for $25.95 USD ($33 CAD)
- 1 beautyblender + 500mL blendercleanser for $34.95 USD ($44 CAD)
- 2 beauty blenders + 500mL blendercleanser for $39.95 USD ($50 CAD)

I definitely knew it wasn't worth it just to go for one beautyblender when a second one was only an additional $6, but I couldn't decide if I wanted the cleanser or not. After going back and forth, I finally decided to go for the cleanser as well. Not only did it provide for an easier way to clean the sponge, but it apparently works as a brush cleaner as well.

The Claims:
Now you can look like a movie star without the pricey services of a major make up artist. Introducing Beautyblender, the ultimate make up sponge applicator. Invented by top Hollywood make up artist Rea Ann Silva, Beautyblender has been created to leave you with a professional finish and a flawless complexion. Silva knows that the key to a perfect face is simple: a perfect blend. So forget your fingers or sharp-edged triangular sponges, these application methods waste make up and can leave visible streaks. 

Beautyblender’s patent-pending elliptical shape makes application foolproof by allowing you to access hard-to-reach areas with stunning ease. Its suede texture is sensual to the touch and its unique curves fit the contours of your face, leaving your make up dazzling and undetectable. Beautyblender is latex free, non-allergenic and odor free.

In short, using brushes, fingers, or other spongers for foundation application can sometimes leave streaks and the beautyblender sponge promises to deliver a flawless streak-free application. Furthermore, the pointed tip of the sponge is designed to get at the smaller areas of your face (ie. the sides of your nose, around the eyes, etc).

Directions:

1. You can use the beautyblender with any sort of makeup formulation, whether it be liquid, cream, powder, loose, or pressed. Whichever the case, you'll want to use it damp, so wet the beautyblender under a faucet with a squeezing motion and then squeeze all the water out. When you're done, the beautyblender will be significantly larger than when it was dry, as you can see in the picture below.


2. I use BB cream, so I squirted a nickel-sized amount of product on the back of my hand and used the beautybleander to dab at the BB cream.


You'll want to use a stippling/bouncing motion against your face rather than dragging it across like a brush. This will blend the makeup into your skin without distorting the texture or tone. Use the round, blunt end of the beautyblender for application of product to broader areas of your face (ie. cheeks, forehead, and chin), and the pointed end for smaller areas like the sides of your nose and eye area.


My Thoughts:

Product: The beautyblender is super-squishy and feels almost like suede. I love how it's designed to be used on both ends for applications to different and all areas of the face. My only gripe about the product is with the bright pink colour since I've heard the pink washes out when you clean the sponge.

Well, that and the fact the product is that it's near-impossible to travel with (not that I travel often, mind you, I just like having the option open to me), but that's not a fault with the product itself. 


Packaging: The packaging for this product as actually quite neat. The iffy thing about buying a sponge rather than a brush (or using your fingers) is that it's difficult to find a place to store it. The packaging actually comes with a pedestal insert (you can see it in the second picture of this post) that will allow for the least amount of sponge surface area to rest against a solid surface, which will in turn allow for optimal drying :)

So when you get your beautyblender, don't throw away the packaging!

Price: If you weren't paying attention at the beginning of the post where I listed out the options and prices, here it is again:

- 1 beautyblender for $19.95 USD ($26 CAD)
- 2 beautyblenders for $25.95 USD ($33 CAD)
- 1 beautyblender + 500mL blendercleanser for $34.95 USD ($44 CAD)
- 2 beauty blenders + 500mL blendercleanser for $39.95 USD ($50 CAD)

As you can see, at $20 USD, it's not really worth it to buy just one beautyblender on its own, but it's a lot to buy two beautyblenders and justify the $13 USD per sponge price tag instead. Now that I think about it, I think that's how they trap you! >_____<

Overall: I love the even texture that the beautyblender provides. I'm not sure if I'm just being influenced by the hype, but I do feel like it provides a flawless application. I feel that the sponge provides a fuller coverage than I can get by applying my BB cream with my fingers. Furthermore, it feels like my BB cream lasts longer on my face.

Here's the "after" picture. You can see my terrible-ness of my bare skin in the application pictures above.


Repurchase? Yes! Hopefully I can get a long life out of each sponge, but when it's finally time for new ones, I'll definitely buy them again. I don't think I'll ever want to go back to applying BB cream with my fingers again!

Amicably Yours,
Emi

Comments:2

  1. THATS LIKE A CHINESE EGG... OR A MARSHMALLOW :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know what a Chinese egg is, but I definitely don't think it looks like a marshmallow? LOL

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.