> | | > Review: Benefit "High Beam" Highlighter

Review: Benefit "High Beam" Highlighter

Posted on Thursday, March 14, 2013 | 3 Comments

After skulking around on beauty blogs in my spare time, I realized I wanted to try my luck with a highlighter again.

Previously, I used Yves Saint Laurent's TOUCHE ÉCLAT - Radiant Touch highlighter pen. Despite rave reviews and its immense popularity, I feel that it wasn't for me since it didn't wow me (though in retrospect, I may have to revisit it since I paid a mint for it).


I recently picked up Benefit’s "High Beam" highlighter—apparently another cult favourite—and let me just say, I’m definitely enjoying this one. While YSL’s highlighter pen did in fact highlight areas of my face, I just wasn’t that impressed. I think it was because I was looking for something that was a bit more luminizing when hit with a certain light… kind of like how models have that nice sheen on their cheekbones when photographed. 



I originally agonized between Benefit’s Watt’s Up! (which has a more champagne colour) and High Beam, but I opted for the latter because Watt’s Up! is the birthday gift from Sephora this year. So even though my birthday isn’t for another 7 months, I figured I’d try the more popular product that I wouldn’t be getting for free :P

Just FYI, Benefit also has other Beam products, including Sun Beam (a golden bronze complexion highlighter) and Moon Beam (an iridescent complexion highlighter), but I figured High Beam was most suitable for me.

The Claims: 

So as I was saying, I was looking for a luminizing highlighter and lo and behold! I stumble across this product!
Benefit High Beam is an ethereal pink liquid highlighter that creates a radiantly dewy complexion. For an angelic sheen, this pink shimmering lotion adds a soft, natural afterglow.
and furthermore, 
It's a "supermodel in a bottle" and perfectly alluring on all skin tones. 
I needed it.

Directions: 

Benefit says: “For spot highlighting, dab on cheekbones and brow bones for a beautiful angelic sheen. Or mix with your moisturizer or foundation for an allover glow.

After applying my BB cream, I dot my cheekbones and brow bones with a generous amount of product (generous, meaning I don’t wipe off excess product on the bottle like you’d instinctively do with nail polish) and pat at the product with my ring finger until it is completely blended. I do this one area at a time, since the product dries fairly quickly and will be impossible to blend once dry.

 
After the product has been blended in, I use bronzer to contour my face. The picture below will act as a general guideline if you’re not sure where to highlight and where to contour (though I also dab some highlighter on my brow bones as well). However, I would just like to say that application areas vary between individuals since people have different face shapes—hence, different areas to highlight and contour.


A few dots in each section are all you need, really. You may not notice a huge difference in the mirror, but trust me, it’s there. This stuff is potent, and you definitely don’t want to over-highlight.

My Thoughts: 

Product: Although it’s pink in the bottle, the product itself is more of a silvery-pink. I was worried how the product would look on my yellower Asian skin, but the pink isn’t noticeable after application.


The product definitely lasts for the whole work day, and even longer on my brow bones. When I get home from work and if I’m going out for the evening, I’m tempted to apply more on my cheekbones, though I’m sure it’s still mostly there.

Packaging: The packaging leaves much to be desired. The bottle itself is a bit chunky, like a bottle of nail polish. I like having slim items to carry around in my makeup bag for touch-ups, but unfortunately, this one stays at home :(

Furthermore, it would be a huge improvement to have a doe foot applicator, but instead, it’s a nail polish-type brush. In my opinion, this can get pretty messy if you’re not careful.


Price: It’s $30.00 CAD ($26.00 USD) for 0.45 oz of product at Sephora. While that might not seem like a lot, it will probably take me a while to get through the whole bottle since I’m only using a few dabs of product each day. 

Overall: This is one of those products where I’m amazed I haven’t tried it sooner. Previously, I only contoured my face with a bit of bronzer, and left it at that, but highlighting makes a world of difference. Benefit’s High Beam adds a lot more depth to my face than I can accomplish with just bronzer alone. 

 
Although its effects are subtle, when the highlighter is caught in a certain light and I happen to see my reflection, I’m like, whoa! 

Repurchase? Yes, for sure! It’s definitely become a staple in my makeup routine. 

Amicably Yours,
Emi

Comments:3

  1. Wow! I was kinda skeptical at first b/c I'd heard so-so reviews about this product before and how the pink tone doesn't look good on Asian skins, but it looks just gorgeous on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ^^ No worries, the pink totally disappears once you blend it out. There's always Benefit's Watt's Up highlighter which has a more champagne coloured hue if you're still worried, and that's coming out as the Sephora bday gift! I wish I wasn't born in September >____<"

      Delete
  2. It looks so natural and good on you! I was planning on buying this too but I must admit that it's sooo pricey T^T But I think it's definitely worth it~

    Mindy ♥ http://mymychen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.