> | | > Review: Benefit “Fake Up” Concealer in Medium

Review: Benefit “Fake Up” Concealer in Medium

Posted on Tuesday, March 19, 2013 | 7 Comments

Having started a full time job two months ago, I don’t get to sleep in anymore. As such, the dark circles under my eyes have become a little more noticeable to me.


Prior to this, I’ve used Yves Saint Laurent’s ANTI-CERNES - Multi-Action Concealer, which was disappointing, in my opinion. The YSL concealer provided only light to medium coverage; it would fade away after short period of time, and it would settle into fine lines under my eyes that I didn’t even know I had!

So when I heard about Benefit’s Fake Up concealer, my interest was piqued.


The Fake Up concealer comes in three shades: Light, Medium, and Dark.

The Claims:

This product is marketed as an ultra-hydrating crease control concealer that will keep your skin hydrated for six hours and won’t cake, crease, or settle into fine lines.

How it does this is the concealer itself is encased by a colourless blend of vitamin E and apple seed extract which is supposed to diffuse lines and keep the skin hydrated.

  
Research results:
Results observed in a consumer panel survey:
- 100% said it hydrates skin
- 100% said it feels comfortable on skin
- 100% said the texture feels silky
- 94% said the effect is long-lasting
- 94% said it doesn’t run
- 97% said the formula is lightweight
- 91% said it conceals dark circles
- 91% saw a natural appearance
- 97% said the packaging makes it easy to use

Directions:

Benefit says: “Stroke Fake Up underneath each eye; using your ring finger, pat gently outward to blend. To instantly refresh your look, smooth over any concealer to diffuse lines and hydrate the undereye area.”

When dealing with the delicate undereye area, you always want to use your ring finger, as this is the weakest finger and therefore the finger with the gentlest touch.

I use this concealer under my eyes and on red areas after moisturizing and before applying BB cream.

My Thoughts:

Product: The hydrating aspect of this product is certainly ingenious and it definitely works, but unfortunately, I can’t say the same about the concealer itself. Immediately after application, I would say the coverage is light and only somewhat diminishes my dark circles.


As you can see in the comparison, there's a barely perceivable difference with my eye bags. 

Good news? Even though the concealer faded after about an hour or two on my face, it didn’t deposit itself into the fine lines and make me look cakey.

Packaging: The packaging is super pretty and my inner-crow is delighted at the shiny silver tube. The product is delivered like a lip balm whereon you twist the bottom to extend more of the product.

Price: Fake Up is available at Sephora for $24 USD/$29 CAD. As far as “high end” concealers go, this is a fairly standard price, but in my opinion, this product isn’t worth that much.

Overall: I really wanted to love this product, but unfortunately, it doesn’t do much for me. I adore the concept of this product, but if the hydrating aspect works but the concealer doesn’t, I may as well just skip the concealer entirely, right?

Repurchase? I’ll keep the product, but I will not be repurchasing when/if I reach the end of the tube.

Amicably Yours,
Emi 

Comments:7

  1. Darn, that's too bad that it didn't work out! I got all preemptively excited when I read about the moisturizing aspect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the moisturizing is lovely~ Even though it didn't work on me, I read some reviews that were raving about this concealer. Guess it's a hit or miss!

      Delete
  2. I hope you find a better one. :) Let me know if you do. Good review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's such a shame that it doesn't work that well. I would've liked it to have worked just because it sounds so good and it would fit into my purse perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find most concealers never actually conceal! ha! thanks for sharing! and yumm I'm so gonna try that, thanks :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your great review ;) May I ask which shade you used?

    ReplyDelete
  6. DOH ... never mind! I just noticed "MEDIUM" in the huge font I missed!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.